Monday, March 23, 2015

Pants, Socks and the Guy Next To Me

Pants, Socks and the Guy Next To Me

So in my last blog I talked about Traveling Companions; or, important stuff I always take with me when traveling (if that’s not obvious).  I sort of mentioned socks, but I didn’t get into pants.

Pants are pretty important, unless you’re going some where not wearing pants is legal.  I am sure there are such places, but I have never really looked into it.  Florida? Scandinavia (in the summer)?  My favorite, a marvelous invention, are the ones where the legs zip off, giving a person the option of transferring to shorts … if the day gets hot.  And then, like a miracle, back to pants in the evening when all the mosquitos and other flying nightmares arrive.

However my favorite pants are classic, plain old blue jeans, or jeans as is the modern lexicon.  Jeans are tough, don’t show dirt easily and these days can be worn with formal impunity almost anywhere.  Since the zip-off pants/shorts tend to have cargo pockets, which tend to fill up with an amazing amount detritus (stuff), they are not that comfortable on airplanes and can be a hassle to empty out all that stuff (once again) when going through the TSA.  Plus I have found the zippers halfway up your leg tend to chafe when stuck sitting on an airplane for five to twenty hours.

Now since jeans are cotton and bulky, like cotton t-shirts, how do you avoid the overloaded luggage syndrome?  You wear them.  They can’t overstuff your bag if they are on your butt.  When I get to where I am going, I carefully hang them up and only use them for the return trip.  If I am continuing on by rented car, or some such land mode, where I do have to squeeze them back into my luggage, it doesn’t matter as much because the bag doesn’t have to be jammed into the overhead.

That overhead compartment is a big complaint of mine.  On some airlines you couldn’t get a shaving kit in there. (Or, make-up bag … really small thing?  Whatever?)  And there are a lot of overhead pigs, or people who spend half the passenger loading time trying to push a manatee sized sack of shit into a skinny compartment where it is obviously never going to go.  Then the stewardess, or steward, has to climb over everybody stacked up behind this idiot in the aisle and politely, ever so politely, ask if they could tag the manatee and have it put in the cargo hold.

You can just see the look on the airline steward(ess) face, “Jeez, every fuckin’ flight!  Some jerk just won’t listen to the boarding announcements!  Which they say about a hundred fucking times!  Big bags are NOT going to fit in THIS aircraft overheads!!!.” 

I NEVER check baggage, after having it lost a bunch of times or waiting at the baggage check for an hour for it to come whanging down the conveyor while my wife or conscripted friend has to circle around the arrival road about a hundred times.  Airport cop angrily waving at them to move on every thirty seconds.
So pants are zip-off miracle fiber pants/shorts and jeans.

Socks.  Socks are tricky.  Best avoided when and where possible.  But to get through TSA you have to be wearing socks – even if you are a woman (unless you are a woman who really doesn’t mind dirty – with god knows what grunge is on the floor on her feet.)  Men just can’t get away with it.  That really is a nasty look.  Socks through the flying stages.  Oh and taking your shoes off after sitting down on the airplane is only okay if you’re wearing socks.

What kind of socks?  Nylon, polyester, more miracle fiber.  Never cotton.  Cotton will droop, smell bad and never dry out.  Now colors – fortunately white is no longer the only option, or black either.  Lots of really cool choices these days.  I take advantage of that.  Red, blue, green, stripes, checks, whatever.  My new thing is to not care if they match.  A third of them get lost in the sock laundry paranormal alternate universe anyway.  Not half, but a third.  Half would make sense and be symmetrically workable, but it seems to be a non-symmetrical mathematical function.  So who cares, it happens to everybody.

I just think, “What are you looking at my feet for anyway?”  It’s like I don’t know if women actually do try to go through TSA barefoot.  I never really looked or cared to notice.  I do think I’d have noticed if a man tried to do that, “Now that’s gross.” Going through my mind.

This is once again long enough, I’ll get to “The Guy Sitting Next To Me” next time.

Thanks for reading along.  Really, thanks.

dalepeterson.us



No comments:

Post a Comment