Monday, March 9, 2015

Obsessive Compulsive Resistance

Obsessive Compulsive Resistance

My students who are learning to design objects with Computer Aided Design (or CAD) software are, of course, focused on cars.  Right now – and it does bother me – the only kids who seem to be attracted to getting into this kind of really technical mathematical and engineering type of subject are boys.

I can’t get very many girls to take up the challenge.  But that’s only temporary, I believe.  When it comes to the 2D digital Art, the girls are just as good, or better than many of the boys.  So eventually it will not be matter according to gender.  It’s just that right now, in the beginning of this course, all they want to do are cars.

Teen age boys think about two things generally – girls … and CARS.  Now this software is complex and functions in two complexes of x,y & z and Δx,Δy & Δz.  In brief, this means that everything a designer does, exists as far as the computer is concerned in full 3D.  It is very real to the computer.  We’re talking Tron here.  Xbox worlds.  It is totally safe, but it is not flat and finger painting – to me, like PhotoShop. 

It’s fairly easy to put together primitive blocks and carve them, in CAD, like soap.  That’s what I call it – carving soap.  Once they get done carving the outside as a primitive glop of shapes.  I require them to hollow it out and work out the interior.
When you can dig into your brain and get enough of the skills with this programming to take root, something else begins to happen.  The world of 3D design and creation becomes almost godlike.  Soon enough you are making, what your brain thinks, is real.

The whole involvement becomes nearly an addiction.  It’s worse, I think, than video games or social networking websites (FaceBook, etc.)  For the young men (boys), they can create their total fantasy car.  A chick magnet they could, and most likely never will, be able to build and if they could, they could never afford it. But there in the world of 3D CAD, they can have it.  They can be the creator and the owner of a famous actor’s ride, in their fantasies.

The next step is to put their fantasy creations into some kind of 3D world.  In their worlds, this always seems to mean some kind of Startrek world.  Never like downtown Detroit or St. Louis, but Planet 56_Y in the Whamfargle Nebulae.  Floating islands and highways.  Compared to a video game, which they love, being the god and creator of your own unique fantasy, this world evolves.  They don’t just get better at beating a game that never changes, they get better at creating more and more stuff in their fantasies, plus at making them more and more realistic. 

I have taught both young men and young women with ADD and ADHD, and other learning differentials.  The main difference is that young men tend to be far more physically expressive.  They have a very hard time sitting still and NOT breaking things.  A very hard time, NOT being discipline problems in a classroom setting.
I let them chew gum and listen to their own choice of music on their own earphones, when they are actually working on assigned CAD projects.

Their focus is intense.  A good teacher is gauged on the per centage of time students are involved in class.  75% is a good rating – or, the kids are engaged with the class material at least 75% of the time.  I have students who come into class, politely say hello, go to their assigned computer and remain absolutely glued to their work for 85 minutes at a stretch.  (We have extended studio classes at my school).   And I mean glued!  There could be pole dancers and strippers in the room and they wouldn’t even look up.  Or at least, they wouldn’t look up for very long.

For my own part, I also get completely sucked in.  I don’t care much about flashy concept cars, but I do really get into designing tables, lamps (furniture) and building rooms around my designs and playing with the lighting and so on.  I get so obsessively compulsive  about it, I have worked for 24 and 48 hours straight some times.  Not a healthy thing to do – especially at my age.  Not eating, just caffeine and sugar is all.  It can be horrible to come down from that.

So I have to practice Obsessive Compulsive Resistance.  I now truly give myself eight hours in any one work session and then I force my self to “put down the needle”.  Jeez, it’s hard.  Such power, such omnipotence. 

“Friends don’t let friends learn 3D CAD.”

dalepeterson.us




No comments:

Post a Comment