Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sky-Miles and Skinny Americans

 I am in the Atlanta, Ga. Airport.  My laptop is on my lap because I left my iPad at home.  Figuring I’d only need one or the other.  Wrong move.  Now that I have an iPhone, an iPad and a MacBook, I need all three – it seems.  With me at all times.

When I can’t sit down at a desk, I find I can’t effectively use my laptop because I am addicted to using a mouse.  The trackpad is just too frustrating.  I need that mouse.  An age thing?  Also I have all my books on my iPad.  I have them on my laptop and my iPhone, but it’s easier to just yank out the iPad and the iPhone is frustratingly small to read a whole book page on.

However, my iPad is an old one and it just doesn’t have the power and apps are often not good substitutes for real software.  Well, sometimes they’re not …  So when I’m doing my air travel , getting in my Sky Miles, about half of my baggage is now electronic toys. 

My iPhone is my lifeline, as I’m sure it is for most people today, and when I can’t get free wifi, I need it to set up my own hotspot.  I also see a number of people with their smartphones in one hand and their tablets on their knees.  They’re thumbing something on the cell and fingering something on the tablet – simultaneously.

I have also seen a good number of people without paper boarding passes, using their smartphones with a bar code on the screen in place of a paper boarding pass.

What was life like before we got so plugged in?  Well … I don’t think it matters since we’re not ever going to go backwards until after, maybe, Armageddon.  The big apocalypse.  I am old enough to know what it was like and one thing it was like, was boring as snot.

We are told the art of reading is disappearing.  As I sit here in one of the largest airports in the USA and I do a quick inventory of what has to be several, maybe five hundred people, sitting right around me – at least half are reading paper books (including youngsters) and forty percent of the others are reading from e-tablets.  That means 90% of this crowd are reading.  There are at least fifteen TVs in this area (Concourse B – Gates 15 to 30) and nobody is even looking at them.

The other ten percent of this crowd are talking on cell phones or punching in some kind of text.  Right here I see only one other laptop being used.

It would seem when Americans fly, they read.  The airlines don’t bother to put movies on flights anymore.

I also notice that the preponderance of overweight individuals somehow seems to be far less prevalent at airports.  I would estimate the majority of people I have seen so far today on this trip are not terribly fat.  When I go to the SuperMarts, Woah! The human flesh on the hoof is staggering.  Makes me almost embarrassed to be American.


I guess they don’t fly much – the fatties.  I mean, by and large, Americans are still quite large as a rule, but not quite so massively obese as we are led to believe.  At least not in the sky on airplanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment