Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Are Those Dogs Dead? : Merck and Craige IV

Merck and Craige IV
Are those dogs dead?

“Those who don’t study history are condemned.  Just condemned.  They wouldn’t know if they repeated stupidity, so they just do.” 

You may not think so and you may not like it, but old dogs do tend to show their age.  Yes, they do.  If you know dogs very well; if you have been around dogs very much, you will know when you meet and greet a dog that’s got a long resumé.  Old dogs just look at you differently.  If fact, they look at everything differently.  There is more of a, “Yeah, I know that thing, whatever it is.  Been there, seen it, sniffed it.  Yeah, yeah, so what else is going on?”  A touch of canine wisdom sort of glints in their eyes.

Really old dogs have a kind of resigned look.  The only questions are, “Is it worth getting up to investigate?  Is it worth sniffing.  Can’t see it, but the odoure is familiar.“
The next thought you can just see, is, “Nah … Maybe if it doesn’t go away in a coupla minutes … ? … then I’ll …. Zzzzzz …..   And, being an old man, I know how they feel.  And, knowing the dog world pretty good, I know the old dogs know that I’m an old guy; no threat to them.  There’s a bit of instinctive camaraderie between us.

I can tell, if he bites me, it’s probably not going to hurt; or hurt enough to worry about.  The old dog is thinking, “If he kicks me, it’s probably not gonna hurt, or hurt enough to worry about.”  So we’re usually cool.  Of course, old dogs prefer old women; doesn’t matter if the dog is female or male.  I’ve noticed, in general, dogs of all ages seem to like women better than men.  (Not that I can find any fault in that.)

Merck and Craige follow my wife around like … dogs … ?  Seriously, they just HAVE to be the same room with her.  When she’s at home, it’s like no one else really matters.  She says, “It’s jut because I’m the one who feeds them.”  Our youngest daughter is the one who actually feeds them and puts out their water.  So that’s not it – really.  Walks.  We all take them for walks.  Although if she is on the walk, the only person they will obey is her.  And, my wife is not at all a pushy or aggressive person.  Not like she’s all alpha or anything.  She is better looking than me, but hey!  should that really make a difference?  I mean – they’re dogs!  Can they even tell?

I have talked about how Borders tend to stick the end of their little pink tongues out.  Just this little tab hanging out between their front teeth.  Generally all the time.  If it wasn’t a bit weird, we have lived with many dogs over the years and this is not really normal, it might be kind of cute.   Plus, now get this – they both sleep with their eyes open! … !!! …  at least about half the time.  Now both of them have pretty noticeable cataracts, not uncommon with old dogs (or people, for that matter).  But it costs thousands to get them removed and several vets have said that it doesn’t really help them much.  So we figure, they can’t see much anyway, so why bother to waste the energy on closing them … I guess?

These two tendencies, along with the gray around their muzzles and general oldish mannerisms, is very strange.  A bit tricky to get used to.  We had only had them living with us for a few days the first time I witnessed this. 

I kind of panicked, saying to my wife, “Damn! Are these dogs dead!!!”  And, “Gawd, we just get them and their both dead!!!”  And, “Debbie’s gonna kill us!”  Debbie is the name of the lady who had them working for her before she retired them to our home.  Debbie la-huvS  her animals. 

She said, “No.  That’s just the way they sleep.  Look their breathing’s fine.  Pet ‘em, they show they’re not dead.”  And, she had a nice little chuckle at me.  Which was nice for her, but it took me like ten minutes before my heart rate returned to normal. 



To be continued ... 

dalepeterson.us

Just published  Twelve Roses for Kathy – A journey on a motorcycle out of the darkness of bipolar disorder”



No comments:

Post a Comment