Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Double-Tap

The Double-Tap

This is originally a saying that involves – like killing or shooting people, or I suppose large animals.  Like maybe lions, tigers, bears … oh my.  A person, or shooter, shoots the threat and if the threat is still wriggling, they get shot again – the double-tap. Make sure, for certain, that the threat is dead.  And, therefore no longer a threat.

However I believe there a lot of times when the double-tap comes in handy, even if there is no threat.  Or, sometimes there are situations in life where checking up on something a second time, can save your butt.  Such as giving your wallet a double-tap, or your cell phone, when you’re leaving the house – going somewhere.  These days your cell phone is almost the most important thing you own – or can carry with you.

Really.  Yes, really.

I have had a numerous occasions where having my cell phone on me has been far more important than having my wallet.  I can pay for things and services at a lot of places with my phone.  I can’t call for help, should I need it, on my wallet.  I can’t take important photos, such as where I parked my car, with my wallet.  I can’t override shitty music in a coffee shop with my wallet.  Like right now.  I cannot stand bad country music.  Cannot abide that wailing, stupid – “I love ma country, I ain’t got no edicashunn, I jes lu-huv ma pickup truhuk”  “wa-wa-didi-ahm dumb as shit an’ ah lak it thet wa-a-a-y”.

God save us all from idiots!!!

I’m in a tiny coffee shop in Florida.  Right on the beach.  Very nice place and they’re playing some truly awful stuff.  “Slimy Pete and the Monotones” or some kind of crap.  Jeez, how to totally ruin the atmosphere.  But the rest of the vibe is cool and the tea is good.  Coolest place on the boardwalk and it’s nearly empty.  Hot dog and ice cream and beer joints are crowded, this place is like a tomb.  Fortunately they started selling beer.  That oughta pick up business.  I hope so.

Anyway, I did the double-tap on my Bluetooth headphones in my beach bag and I’m cruisin’ to Jimmy Smith on the jazz organ.  Bee-yoo-ti-ful … Just did the double-tap on my wallet and it had fallen out of my pocket, right next to this coffee shop table.  Saved.!!!  Double-tap my cars keys – still clipped to my belt (whew!)  that’s a big one; i.e. the car keys.  My beautiful wife keeps about a half-dozen car keys duct-tapped to the outside of her car.  She doesn’t double-tap.  And has paid for that just a whole lotta times.

Just double-tapped my cell phone pocket – yep, it’s there.  Double-tapped my sunglasses and hat – covered.  Now, for some years I have practiced what I call, “Develop a system that works and never change it”.  The ACYB, or akib (ay-kib).  (Yes I should work on that acronym – suggestions accepted).  “Always Cover Your Butt”.  Simply, things like, “always carry a pair of pliers on your motorcycle and electrical tape and duct tape”.  Put an extra pocket knife in your bag.  Always have a tenner, ten dollar bill, tucked away on your bike and in your car.  Toll bridges don’t accept credit cards.

And, “if you don’t want sand in it (whatever it is), don’t take it to the beach.”  You will be blowing sand out of it for years.  And, “when you’re boating (anywhere in any kind of boat), everything gets wet.”  That’s just the way it is.  Systems – systems, and never ever change things within your systems.  Habits, if they are good habits can, and I guarantee will, save your butt

The very minute you change something, or break, your system, everything goes to hell until you get it back to that system.  This is life speaking, dear reader.  Threeslack brain, periods.  The only thing that has kept me from completely exploding into chaos has been my satchel full of systems.  
score and ten speaking here.  Lately I’ve been going through one of those absent minded,

So remember the double-tap and that the double-tap is not just for killing things, it is frequently a good thing for saving things.  No need to get all OCD (obsessive) about it, just double-tap it.


Dalepeterson.us 

No comments:

Post a Comment