Saturday, August 16, 2014

300 Miles on a Bicycle in 24 Hours - Part Two

I Ride 300 Miles on a Bicycle in 24 Hours
(I Meet Myself In Person)

Well … things don’t always work out like you think.  Nope, they don’t.  Being together and sharing headlights and camaraderie riding bicycles on a desert road in the middle of the night IS the way to go and despite the challenge, it was kind of a neat experience.  I must say.

Side note: other than the sag wagon, support van, we never saw another car, truck or anyone else, for that matter, during the entire night.  It was just the coyotes, and us, which we heard nearly all night, but never actually saw.  Another side note is that it is nearly impossible to fully understand how un-night like the night can be, a hundred or so miles from any kind of city or town.  With even a sliver of bright moon and quadrillions of stars in a cloudless sky and no human-made ambient light to water it down, it really doesn’t seem all that dark.

With no cars, at all, coming at you from the front to make your pupils shrink every couple of minutes, your vision – night vision – can get pretty darn good.  It’s amazing really.  I felt kind of like a cat.  For a long stretch of that desert night, we even turned our headlamps off and just rode in the natural light of the moon and stars.

If you have never been in a true desert, a real desert, not just a plain open space like say … Oklahoma, but a genuine it rains like 2” annually, you ought to visit one.  Without man made, or man installed, conveniences – like water – a real desert can truly support an ecosystem of one plant every square mile or so and maybe one lizard (or snake).  That’s an exaggeration, but that’s what it seems like.   Oh, I forget, in some places that might include a zillion prairie dogs.

End of side note: :::

Leaving Phoenix and getting past all the outlying strip mall towns, there is nearly nothing until you hit the outlying strip malls of Tucson.  I mean nothing. Saguaro cactus, some barrel cactus and other less than friendly plant life – spaced football fields apart.  Out in the huge western states, these outlying strip malls can run for twenty or thirty miles.  Tucson is one of those cities.  And a lot of those strips malls can be quite seedy, that is rundown bars, drive-in liquor stores, adult book (?) stores (yeah, like they actually sell books), gun stores (generally right next to the liquor stores – now that’s not a good idea, is it?).  Not scenic and not pleasant.

Lots of pick-up trucks.  Lots of Highway Patrol.

Not a sort of place where you want to find yourself at night.  We happened to hit this fun spot just as it was getting dark.  Early night.  We got through it just as night happened.  Wheh! 

The next 150 miles were in the desert, up over the mountain (?), which as I said we never found. Down the other side, in the early desert morning, which, by the way, is the time to be in the desert.  Early morning in the Saguaro Desert is gorgeous.  Cool, dry (really dry), incredible blossom perfumes.  This beauty and the whole chi of being there, right there, on a zen quiet bicycle – seemed to zap away all the muscle aches and sore butt of all the riding up to that point. 
And then – slowly it began to get hot.  The Phoenix Valley sun began to find us.  As we, honestly, crept into the suburbs of the city, all 300 of those miles also began to find us.  We began to split up into two groups.  The ones who let all those miles slip into their consciousness and those of us who apparently were too stubborn, or stupid, to notice them.
Tiny gymnast, Benny, and myself were in the front group.  So, speaking only for myself, as we got closer and closer to our starting point.  To success.  The clock had begun to run out.  We had averaged close to twenty miles an hour, up until that point.  This is, or was, an excellent pace for simple non-professional, run-of-the-mill bicycle nuts, like us.  However, no matter what we did, lowering gears, standing up (honking) on the pedals, we started to loose our pace.
We had about twenty miles to go and one hour to get there.  Our pace slipped to eighteen, then sixteen.  No way we were going to make it.  My left hand went numb and became useless.  (No it wasn’t a heart attack symptom. Just numb from leaning forward on the handlebars.)  Then my right knee started to jab me like an ice pick and I could no longer tolerate pushing down on the pedal.  It just simply hurt too much.
At ten miles to the finish, we were cooked, totally cooked.  None of the three of us were even completely awake any longer.  I was operating on mere habit.  A thousand miles or more of training and survival brain reactions.  I felt a glance of subliminal thought from the other two guys.  The same thought.  “I am not riding a 24 hour 300 mile race to loose!!!”

Our need hit some place inside each one of us.  The pace began to pick up.  We found ourselves racing flat out through those faceless, endless city suburbs.  I was standing up on my pedals, gripping the right handlebar like the claw of an eagle trying to lift off with a really fat lamb in his claw.  Skewed way over to the left side, trying to balance on my one functioning leg.  My vision a razor slit of one single purpose – do not stop!

When I saw my car in the parking lot of our start, I saw myself standing there in my bike clothes getting ready to leave to begin the ride.  “What?” I thought.  But there I was, all chipper and goofing around with the other guys.  Further my mind said, “That guy is insane if he thinks he can actually do this.  Ride 300 miles in 24 hours!”

I looked at my watch.  That guy, the one I saw standing there getting ready to start, had done it!  And … he had done it with ten minutes to spare.  Twenty-three hours and fifty minutes.  As the two of us blended back together, me and the idiot my mind had conjured up, the rest of the team pulled in with less than a minute to spare. 
That was my only out of body experience in my life.  Ever.  Before or since.  I learned one thing from that experience – I then knew, and have maintained the true knowledge, that if I set my mind to something, I can do it.  A person, any person, who truly wants to do something, to get through the impossible gate, they can.  I got to my point of collapsing, went through it.  I got to another place of complete collapse and went through that.  Past the next and the next, until only a single string of thought, focus, remained and I had remained upright and gotten across that string.

I learned that it is a person’s mind that controls their destiny.  The body can ache and hurt to the point where it is possible to simply ignore it.  The brain can become confused and overwhelmed with boredom and seek any manner of excuse to quit, but the mind can overcome that.  This knowledge has saved my butt more times than I can count.  Through tropical storms – with lightening – when I been caught out on my motorcycle.  Through high seas, huge waves breaking over the bow and directly into my face, when I have been miles out in my sea kayak.

At the bottom of ski racecourses where my quadriceps felt like someone was holding a branding iron on them.

Lastly, this is more than survival.  Surviving some nearly intolerable condition, in which a person finds themselves, is a natural reaction.  We will if we can.  And sometimes, we just can’t.  That is that.  Survival is more of a kharma thing.  Circumstances can totally prevent simple survival.

But purpose is something entirely different.  Purpose is a choice.  And the capacity to make sentient, intelligent or find the necessary moral options, is what makes us humans.
Sometimes to choose to test ourselves to go past our absolute limits allows us to find who we were before.  If accomplished, we see ourselves in a totally new way.  After this test, if successful, we meet ourselves as we were with person as who we are now.

+++
If you enjoyed this blog, please tell your friends please subscribe and write a comment.

And visit me at http://dalepeterson.us

1 comment: