Sunday, June 8, 2014

Getting Whacked Upside the Head!

Getting Whacked Upside the Head!

Nothing changes.  I’ve heard it said a million times, “People don’t change.”  And, “You can’t change people.”

Hmm….  Might be true, at least at some fundamental level.  If a person is colorblind, that isn’t going to change.  If a person is conditioned over their early childhood, to steal things, well, that be hard to change.  I think the idea that “Things” as in life conditions, say being very poor as a child, or not having the opportunity to go to a good school, not being allowable to change, would take a great deal of the hope out of living.

And without hope (?) what is the point in getting up in the morning?

Alcoholics, other damaged addicts, people who commit crimes – without the hope that change can happen, that life, with work on their life choices, any kind of future becomes just a jump off a high cliff. 

Then we do have that fundamental level – the possible physical impairments, disabilities, genetic disorders that can be accepted as challenges, or restrictions.  The fundamentals of these conditions, situations, may be possible to change, but there is often that choice – challenge or restriction.  That can change.  That can, at any point in a person’s life, change, or even be changed.

Just for myself, I can say I have received that phone call where before the phone rang my life was going in one direction on a seemingly immutable path and after that particular phone call, it had made a 180 degree turn – at least a 90 degree turn.  I have had those days when I left the house in the morning as one kind of person and returned in the evening as a completely different person.

The details are not all that important, I might get into them a bit, we’ll see.  This is a blog and I don’t work from a hardened outline.  So … maybe … if it fits.

The whack upside the head can happen at any instant.  Even during sleep.  One instant your life is “like this and “whack!” , your life – your whole life – is “different”.
One example; you discover you are going to become a parent.  You wake up in the morning with your life centered around yourself, thinking and focusing on just yourself, maybe inclusive of a relationship, but mostly just you.  You go to bed that night with the knowledge that very soon you will be responsible for a new human life.

Now that is a, “whack upside the head”!  I have had others.  I have had the “I’m going to be a father” whack six times.  But I have also had the life changing job offer telephone calls and mail, or emails (as of the last fifteen years or so.)  Okay, I admit it, I woke up one morning with a horrible hangover and decided I was never going to drink alcohol again – and I haven’t for over thirty-five years.  Even when it was free. 
I think my objective in writing this is more for the younger readers.  I mean if you are say less than thirty (?) and believe you have your life course set, your career and all that set; the concrete has hardened, there will be no changes.  If you are pleased with things as you have set them, don’t be.  If you are upset or disappointed with your life as it is and believe you are stuck, don’t be.

It might be a good whack or it might be a tragic whack that you get.  It can happen once in a lifetime or it can happen a number of times.  The odds are mostly in favor, I believe, that it is going to happen – at least once.  I believe the odds are that it will happen more than once. 

When the whack is favorable, it is a mistake to think it happened because God loves you more than other people.  Just as when it is more tragic, or damaging, painful, it is a mistake to think it is because God has it in for you for some reason.  But pay attention to the fact that you have been whacked!  There is always a lesson to be learned – if you survive, of course, relatively unscathed physically. 


And now your video for this week:



******
If you enjoyed this blog, and/or found any value to you within it, please do subscribe.  I’d really appreciate it.  And feel free to write to me, or add a comment.

Dale Clarence Peterson © 2014
Please check out my new book Drawing Blind (Learn to draw without looking) at:
It’s free – all I ask is that you post a review.

You can also get any of my books for Amazon Kindle at:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D154606011&field-keywords=dale+clarence+peterson

My website:

My YouTube Channel:

No comments:

Post a Comment