Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Two Boots on the Highway and Cup Holders

Somehow product designers can often really have their heads .... etc.

Why does my pick-up truck not have any cup holders?  No place to put your coffee mug when you're driving.  Worse this is Virginia, southern Virginia -  where are you supposed to put your open beer can?  And, nothing will stick to the dashboard material.  Go to Walmart, buy a cheap cup-holder.  Won't fit over the door thickness window place.  None of the ones that are supposed have a stick-em patch stick - at all, even for a minute ... well, at all period.  The stick-em don't stick.  Heavy-duty glue, SuperGlue, Gorilla Glue.  All of the glueiest glues hold for at the most, a week.  And they don't break off, leaving a mark.  They just fall off.  No mark they were ever there.

What is the stuff they make those dashboards out of?

So I've had this truck for two years and I still have to jam my coffee cup up against the seat with some heavy object to hold it there.  It's a five-speed on-the-floor manual - a stick shift!!!  This means a constant juggle a thousand times every time I drive it anywhere!

Now!!  Why is it our cheap Kia Salantra sedan, which seats four people, have SIX cup-holders!
Four of them up front.  You might squeeze three people in the back, there are seatbelts for three people, but they would have to be pretty small people.  But up front there are bucket-seats.  Two of them.  And those two people get two-cup holders apiece!

And my pick-up has NONE! 

Designers - you really dropped the ball (or cup) on this one.

Driving my cup-holderless pick-up to town today, I spot a small boot, looks like it's gotta be a woman's boot, in the middle of the left lane.  Hmm...  "That curious." I'm thinking.  Then about a quarter mile further I spot the other boot on the breakdown lane.  These boots look new, or nearly new.

Brain is saying, "How does this happen?  Two nearly new women's boots get chucked out the window of a car; one out of the left side of that car and the other out of the right side?  A quarter mile apart?  There is a story in this scenario somewhere.  Gotta be."

(c) Copyright 2014 by Dale Clarence Peterson

2 comments:

  1. well Dale - in the old days they had something called junk yards - I don't even know if they have them anymore - perhaps if they do have one or two around in your area you could mosey in over to where one of them exists and see if you can get some cup holders from some car and somehow affix it to your something in the front of your truck perhaps with some good old duct (duck) tape - you know that grey shiny tape that people use to fix all sorts of things -

    and well those two boots - that could be anything - but I would like to imagine a pleasanter story than something worse so I would say that some lady bought them or got them as a present and either got mad at the person who bought them for her or - well some guy was going to give it to some girl and got mad at the girl - or well they didn't fit right so the girl just through them out or some parent didn't like their daughter wearing these type of boots so they made her take them off and threw them out the window - but I'll stop there not to get too into the dark side of possibilities - but you know the whole story can go on forever - and so with everything else - we'll just have to leave this one for everyone else's imagination - :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah..Walter ... good idea about the junkyard, we have a number of those around here. Tried duct tape (I like your proper spelling). UNbelievably! For the first time ever in my life, duct tape did not stick! Really. I couldn't believe it either. I duct taped a hole in my painted canvas canoe that held for like ten years. I miss that canoe.

    Boots ... yeah, you're right, avoid the dark side. I kinda like the guy buying them for his girl, then he gets a text message breaking up (or something) whoop! one goes out the window. Then he gets "really" ticked and whoop! out goes the other. Hopefully he didn't have a wreck because of the texting.

    ReplyDelete