Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Great Mouse Massacre"

From "Boxes of Clay" - "Molly and the Great Mouse Massacre" (out on Amazon Kindle Dec. 2013)


"Some things you don't forget, but it's not for lack of trying"

I have been told that the French think peanut butter is a gastronomic sacrilege.  I don't think very many mice are French.  In my experience, mice will climb right over cheese to get at peanut butter - even if there is a trap in the way.  Put cheese in a trap ... nothing.  Squish some peanut butter onto the little trap lever and blam!  Of course if you put close to a dozen traps in various drawers full of clothing in a small bedroom the parfoom of a left over school lunch tends to remain for a while.  Especially in the clothes.  But, moving on none the less.

Tears, whining and stinging fingers later.  Our bedroom was some miles away down the bend-over-hallway and through the boys room, and into the second floor of the breezeway. So mom and dad were unaware of the rest of this adventure but in Molly's telling it goes something like this;  "I turned out the lights, but then I got afraid because I knew we had baited traps in my drawers and they were going to attract the mice.  Even if they didn't usually come there they were going to come that night.

So I turned the light back on and got in bed and hid under my covers.  THEN I thought I don't them to be able to sneak up on me, so I peaked up over my covers.  Nothing happened for maybe fifteen minutes.  So I turned the light back off and hid under my covers again.  Just as I was peaking out again - blam!  Blam-blam!  Blam!  Blam-blam-blam!  It was like a machine gun or really loud pop corn.  

No comments:

Post a Comment